skip navigation

Justinfo Subscribe to Stay Informed

Add your conference to our Justice Events calendar


NCJRS Abstract


Subscribe to Stay Informed
Want to be in the know? JUSTINFO is a biweekly e-newsletter containing information about new publications, events, training, funding opportunities, and Web-based resources available from the NCJRS Federal sponsors. Sign up to get JUSTINFO in your inbox.

The document referenced below is part of the NCJRS Library collection.
To conduct further searches of the collection, visit the NCJRS Abstracts Database.

How to Obtain Documents
NCJ Number: NCJ 163391     Find in a Library
Title: Felony Sentences in State Courts, 1994
  Document URL: Text PDF 
  Agency Summary: Agency Summary 
Author(s): P A Langan ; J M Brown
Corporate Author: Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS)
US Dept of Justice
Office of Justice Programs
United States of America
Date Published: 01/1997
Page Count: 16
  Series: BJS Bulletins
  Annotation: This report presents data on felony sentences in State courts for 1994.
Abstract: State courts convicted 872,217 adults of a felony in 1994. The decline in the number of convictions from 1992 (893,630 convictions) to 1994 (872,217 convictions) reverses the upward trend after 1988. In 1994 the average time from arrest to sentencing was just under 6 1/2 months, indicating that despite the increased volume of work, courts actually processed cases a little faster in 1994 (872,217 cases) than they did in 1988 (667,366 cases), when the typical convicted felon was sentenced 7 months after arrest. The proportion of felons sentenced to incarceration or probation in 1994 was generally unchanged from 1988. Prison sentences accounted for just under half of felony sentences in both years. Drug traffickers (19 percent) and drug possessors (12.5 percent) together composed 31.4 percent of felons convicted in State courts in 1994. Violent offenders -- murderers (1.4 percent), rapists (2.3 percent), robbers (5.3 percent), assaulters (7.5 percent), and others convicted of a violent crime (2.4 percent) -- made up 18.9 percent. Burglars (11.2 percent) and larcenists (13 percent) composed most of the rest. State courts sentenced 45 percent of convicted felons to a State prison, 26 percent to a local jail, and 29 percent to straight probation with no jail or prison time to serve. Felons sentenced to a State prison in 1994 had an average sentence of 6 years, but were likely to serve approximately one-third of that sentence, or about 2 years. The average sentence to local jail was 6 months. Of the total number of convicted felons in 1994, 89 percent had pleaded guilty to their crime. The remaining 11 percent had been found guilty at trial. Nationally, of the felons convicted in 1994, 51 percent were white, 48 percent were black, and 1 percent were of other races. 25 tables
Main Term(s): Court statistics
Index Term(s): State courts ; Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS) ; Sentencing statistics
Sale Source: NCJRS Photocopy Services
Box 6000
Rockville, MD 20849-6000
United States of America

Justice Statistics Clearinghouse/NCJRS
P.O. Box 6000
Rockville, MD 20849
United States of America
Type: Statistics
Country: United States of America
Language: English
  To cite this abstract, use the following link:

* A link to the full-text document is provided whenever possible. For documents not available online, a link to the publisher's web site is provided.