skip navigation

Justinfo Subscribe to Stay Informed

Add your conference to our Justice Events calendar


NCJRS Abstract


Subscribe to Stay Informed
Want to be in the know? JUSTINFO is a biweekly e-newsletter containing information about new publications, events, training, funding opportunities, and Web-based resources available from the NCJRS Federal sponsors. Sign up to get JUSTINFO in your inbox.

The document referenced below is part of the NCJRS Library collection.
To conduct further searches of the collection, visit the NCJRS Abstracts Database.

How to Obtain Documents
NCJ Number: NCJ 240554     Find in a Library
Title: Hate Crime Statistics 2011
  Document URL: HTML 
Corporate Author: Federal Bureau of Investigation
US Dept of Justice
United States of America
Date Published: 12/2012
Page Count: 0
  Annotation: This study provides statistics on hate crimes for 2011.
Abstract: Results indicate that 6,222 criminal incidents involving 7,254 offenses were reported in 2011 as a result of bias toward a particular race, religion, sexual orientation, ethnicity/national origin, or physical or mental disability. Findings show that there were 6,216 single bias incidents, of which 46.9 percent were motivated by a racial bias, 20.8 percent were motivated by a sexual orientation bias, 19.8 percent were motivated by a religious bias, and 11.6 percent were motivated by an ethnicity/national origin bias; bias against a disability accounted for 0.9 percent of single-bias incidents; of the 4,623 hate crime offenses classified as crimes against persons, intimidation accounted for 45.6 percent, simple assaults for 34.5 percent, and aggravated assaults for 19.4 percent; 4 murders and 7 forcible rapes were reported as hate crimes; there were 2,611 hate crime offenses classified as crimes against property with the majority of these (81.4 percent) being acts of destruction/damage/vandalism while robbery, burglary, larceny-theft, motor vehicle theft, arson, and other offenses accounted for the remaining 18.6 percent of crimes against property; the race was unknown for 10.8 percent, while 59 percent of the 5,731 known offenders were White, and 20.9 percent were Black; most hate crime incidents (32.0 percent) occurred in or near homes while 18 percent took place on highways, roads, alleys, or streets, 9.3 percent at schools or colleges, 5.9 percent in parking lots or garages, and 4.4 percent in churches, synagogues, or temples.
Main Term(s): FBI Uniform Crime Reports ; Hate Crimes
Index Term(s): Crime Statistics ; Violent crime statistics ; Property crime statistics ; Rape statistics ; Homosexuality-crime relationships ; Race-crime relationships ; Religiously motivated violence
Type: Statistics ; Report (Annual/Periodic)
Country: United States of America
Language: English
  To cite this abstract, use the following link:

* A link to the full-text document is provided whenever possible. For documents not available online, a link to the publisher's web site is provided.