skip navigation


Register for Latest Research

Stay Informed
Register with NCJRS to receive NCJRS's biweekly e-newsletter JUSTINFO and additional periodic emails from NCJRS and the NCJRS federal sponsors that highlight the latest research published or sponsored by the Office of Justice Programs.

NCJRS Abstract

The document referenced below is part of the NCJRS Virtual Library collection. To conduct further searches of the collection, visit the Virtual Library. See the Obtain Documents page for direction on how to access resources online, via mail, through interlibrary loans, or in a local library.


NCJ Number: 136765 Find in a Library
Title: To What Extent and Why Do Inmates Attend School in Prison
Journal: Journal of Correctional Education  Volume:43  Issue:1  Dated:(March 1992)  Pages:52-56
Author(s): R T Stephens
Date Published: 1992
Page Count: 5
Type: Survey
Format: Article
Language: English
Country: United States of America
Annotation: In a random sample of 220 male inmates taken at New York State's Sing Sing maximum security correctional facility, reasons were explored to determine why school dropouts, who comprise 79 percent of the prison population in New York State, and school graduates, who comprise the remaining 21 percent, attend school in prison and to what extent.
Abstract: Findings demonstrate that about 85 percent of the school dropouts in this sample attended school in prison and more than half acquired a high school equivalency diploma in prison. About one-third of the dropouts attended college to some extent while in prison. Graduates primarily attended the college program, but vocational training was popular with both groups. Inmates spent, on average, about one-fifth of their incarcerated time enrolled in an academic and/or vocational program. All ethnic groups participated equally. Many inmates commented that the education they received in prison was something they had passed up in regular school and felt that their educational and/or vocational training would make a difference in their lives. The primary reasons given for going to school in prison were to better themselves, to take the GED exam, and to get a good job when released. 8 tables, 1 note, and 18 references (Author abstract)
Main Term(s): Inmate academic education; Inmate vocational training
Index Term(s): Inmate attitudes; New York; School dropouts
To cite this abstract, use the following link:

*A link to the full-text document is provided whenever possible. For documents not available online, a link to the publisher's website is provided. Tell us how you use the NCJRS Library and Abstracts Database - send us your feedback.