skip navigation


Register for Latest Research

Stay Informed
Register with NCJRS to receive NCJRS's biweekly e-newsletter JUSTINFO and additional periodic emails from NCJRS and the NCJRS federal sponsors that highlight the latest research published or sponsored by the Office of Justice Programs.

NCJRS Abstract

The document referenced below is part of the NCJRS Virtual Library collection. To conduct further searches of the collection, visit the Virtual Library. See the Obtain Documents page for direction on how to access resources online, via mail, through interlibrary loans, or in a local library.


NCJ Number: 149265 Find in a Library
Title: Recidivism Among Drug Offenders: A Survival Analysis of the Effects of Offender Characteristics, Type of Offense, and Two Types of Intervention
Journal: Journal of Quantitative Criminology  Volume:10  Issue:2  Dated:(June 1994)  Pages:159-179
Author(s): J R Hepburn; C A Albonetti
Date Published: 1994
Page Count: 21
Grant Number: 89-DD-CS-0056
Type: Survey
Format: Article
Language: English
Country: United States of America
Annotation: This study examined the relative effect of drug consumption analysis on the time period to probation revocation petition and a probation revocation among offenders with a history of drug abuse.
Abstract: The data were collected on 718 probationers in Birmingham, Ala. Eighty-four percent were males, 66 percent were black, 48 percent received drug treatment and monitoring, and the other 52 percent received only drug monitoring. The data were analyzed using both parametric and nonparametric estimation procedures. Results indicated no difference between drug monitoring with treatment and drug monitoring along, for either of the two measures of recidivism. Findings also indicated that younger offenders and black offenders have a shorter time to a petition to revoke probation. Black offenders and offenders with prior arrest records also had shorter times to failure than did other offenders. Results offer empirical support for a reconsideration of the type of intervention that is effective in deterring offenders on probation. Tables, figures, and 31 references (Author abstract modified)
Main Term(s): Corrections research
Index Term(s): Alabama; Criminology; Drug testing; Probation effectiveness; Recidivism
Note: NIJ Reprint
To cite this abstract, use the following link:

*A link to the full-text document is provided whenever possible. For documents not available online, a link to the publisher's website is provided. Tell us how you use the NCJRS Library and Abstracts Database - send us your feedback.