skip navigation

PUBLICATIONS

Register for Latest Research

Stay Informed
Register with NCJRS to receive NCJRS's biweekly e-newsletter JUSTINFO and additional periodic emails from NCJRS and the NCJRS federal sponsors that highlight the latest research published or sponsored by the Office of Justice Programs.

NCJRS Abstract

The document referenced below is part of the NCJRS Virtual Library collection. To conduct further searches of the collection, visit the Virtual Library. See the Obtain Documents page for direction on how to access resources online, via mail, through interlibrary loans, or in a local library.

 

NCJ Number: 119478 Find in a Library
Title: Public Health: Centers for Disease Control Staffing for AIDS and Other Programs
Corporate Author: Experience Education
United States of America
Date Published: 1989
Page Count: 10
Sponsoring Agency: Azimuth Inc.
Fairmont, WV 26554
Experience Education
Omaha, NE 68135
National Institute of Justice/
Rockville, MD 20849
NCJRS Photocopy Services
Rockville, MD 20849-6000
Publication Number: GAO/HRD-89-65
Sale Source: Azimuth Inc.
1000 Technology Drive, Suite 3120
Fairmont, WV 26554
United States of America

National Institute of Justice/
NCJRS paper reproduction
Box 6000, Dept F
Rockville, MD 20849
United States of America

NCJRS Photocopy Services
Box 6000
Rockville, MD 20849-6000
United States of America
Document: PDF
Type: Legislative Hearing/Committee Report
Language: English
Country: United States of America
Annotation: This document examines the extent to which the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) has reallocated staff from ongoing programs to support AIDS activities, and the potential effects this has on other public health missions.
Abstract: Since 1983, Congress has increased funding to allocate an increasing number of staff-years specifically for AIDS programs. By 1988, about 40 percent of AIDS staff-years were allocated pursuant to specific congressional directives and the remaining 60 percent were reallocated from other programs. CDC officials report that allocating staff to AIDS programs has had less effect on meeting existing programs' missions than on the agency's ability to start and expand programs. However, CDC does not account for actual staff time spent by program or activity. As a result, the agency cannot easily determine and document staffing needs for its diverse activities. It is recommended that CDC staff develop better management information so that the agency and the Congress can make more fully informed staff allocation decisions. Appendix.
Main Term(s): Human Immunodeficiency Virus/Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome (HIV/AIDS); Public administration
Index Term(s): Governmental planning
Note: Report to the Chairman, Committee on Energy and Commerce, House of Representatives
To cite this abstract, use the following link:
http://www.ncjrs.gov/App/publications/abstract.aspx?ID=119478

*A link to the full-text document is provided whenever possible. For documents not available online, a link to the publisher's website is provided. Tell us how you use the NCJRS Library and Abstracts Database - send us your feedback.