skip navigation

PUBLICATIONS

Register for Latest Research

Stay Informed
Register with NCJRS to receive NCJRS's biweekly e-newsletter JUSTINFO and additional periodic emails from NCJRS and the NCJRS federal sponsors that highlight the latest research published or sponsored by the Office of Justice Programs.

NCJRS Abstract

The document referenced below is part of the NCJRS Virtual Library collection. To conduct further searches of the collection, visit the Virtual Library. See the Obtain Documents page for direction on how to access resources online, via mail, through interlibrary loans, or in a local library.

 

NCJ Number: 122957 Find in a Library
Title: Public Health: Centers for Disease Control Staffing for AIDS and Other Programs
Corporate Author: US Government Accountability Office
Human Resources Division
United States of America
Date Published: 1989
Page Count: 10
Sponsoring Agency: National Institute of Justice/
Rockville, MD 20849
NCJRS Photocopy Services
Rockville, MD 20849-6000
US Government Accountability Office
Washington, DC 20548
Sale Source: National Institute of Justice/
NCJRS paper reproduction
Box 6000, Dept F
Rockville, MD 20849
United States of America

NCJRS Photocopy Services
Box 6000
Rockville, MD 20849-6000
United States of America
Document: PDF
Type: Report (Technical)
Language: English
Country: United States of America
Annotation: This analysis of the reallocation of staff of the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) to activities related to AIDS found that by 1988, about 40 percent of the staff-years focusing on AIDS were allocated by Congressional directives and the other 60 percent were reallocated from other programs.
Abstract: CDC officials report that allocating staff to AIDS programs has had less effect on meeting the missions of existing programs than on the agency's ability to start and expand programs. In addition, reallocations to other new programs meant that effects on existing programs could not be attributed solely to the expansion of AIDS activities. However, CDC does not account for actual staff time spent by program or activity, so the agency cannot easily determine and document staffing needs for its diverse activities. The results indicate that CDC should develop better management information so that the agency and the Congress can make more fully informed decisions regarding staff allocations. Tables and list of major contributors to the report appended.
Main Term(s): Human Immunodeficiency Virus/Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome (HIV/AIDS); Work loads
Index Term(s): Centers for Disease Control (CDC); Intra-agency transfers; Personnel shortages; Public Health Service
To cite this abstract, use the following link:
http://www.ncjrs.gov/App/publications/abstract.aspx?ID=122957

*A link to the full-text document is provided whenever possible. For documents not available online, a link to the publisher's website is provided. Tell us how you use the NCJRS Library and Abstracts Database - send us your feedback.