skip navigation

PUBLICATIONS

Register for Latest Research

Stay Informed
Register with NCJRS to receive NCJRS's biweekly e-newsletter JUSTINFO and additional periodic emails from NCJRS and the NCJRS federal sponsors that highlight the latest research published or sponsored by the Office of Justice Programs.

NCJRS Abstract

The document referenced below is part of the NCJRS Virtual Library collection. To conduct further searches of the collection, visit the Virtual Library. See the Obtain Documents page for direction on how to access resources online, via mail, through interlibrary loans, or in a local library.

 

NCJ Number: 134452 Find in a Library
Title: Handedness and the Bilateral Asymmetry of the Jugular Foramen
Journal: Journal of Forensic Sciences  Volume:37  Issue:1  Dated:(January 1992)  Pages:140-146
Author(s): D M Glassman; S E Dana
Date Published: 1992
Page Count: 7
Type: Research (Applied/Empirical)
Format: Article
Language: English
Country: United States of America
Annotation: This paper examines the proposed association of bilateral asymmetry of the jugular foramen as an indicator of handedness observable from cranial morphology.
Abstract: Jugular foramen asymmetry was scored for 54 subjects during routine autopsies performed at the Bexar County Medical Examiners Office in San Antonio, Texas. The sample included 40 males and 14 females. Racially, 47 of the subjects were white and 7 were black, and they ranged in age from 15 to 86 years. Hand preference data were collected on each subject from family members. Of the 54 subjects, 47 47 were documented as being right-handed and 7 as being left-handed. These values approximated the average percentage of right-handed versus left-handed individuals from larger populations. Jugular foramen asymmetry was qualitatively identified for 36 subjects (66.7 percent) and was judged equivocal for the other 18 (33.3 percent). Of the 36 subjects exhibiting asymmetry, 28 (77.7 percent) showed positive correlation between the asymmetry direction and handedness. The moderate level of congruence, coupled with the result that four of the seven left-handers exhibited dominant right-side foramina, casts doubt on the reliable use of jugular foramen asymmetry for estimating handedness. Therefore, forensic anthropologists and others should refrain from using jugular foramen asymmetry as the sole determinant of handedness from the skeleton. 8 references, 2 tables, and 3 figures (Author abstract modified)
Main Term(s): Forensic anthropology
Index Term(s): Autopsy; Bone analysis; Texas; Victim identification
To cite this abstract, use the following link:
http://www.ncjrs.gov/App/publications/abstract.aspx?ID=134452

*A link to the full-text document is provided whenever possible. For documents not available online, a link to the publisher's website is provided. Tell us how you use the NCJRS Library and Abstracts Database - send us your feedback.