skip navigation

PUBLICATIONS

Register for Latest Research

Stay Informed
Register with NCJRS to receive NCJRS's biweekly e-newsletter JUSTINFO and additional periodic emails from NCJRS and the NCJRS federal sponsors that highlight the latest research published or sponsored by the Office of Justice Programs.

NCJRS Abstract

The document referenced below is part of the NCJRS Virtual Library collection. To conduct further searches of the collection, visit the Virtual Library. See the Obtain Documents page for direction on how to access resources online, via mail, through interlibrary loans, or in a local library.

 

NCJ Number: 135868 Add to Shopping cart Find in a Library
Title: Fighting Back: Women's Resistance to Rape
Journal: Journal of Interpersonal Violence  Volume:7  Issue:1  Dated:(March 1992)  Pages:31-43
Author(s): S E Ullman; R A Knight
Date Published: 1992
Page Count: 13
Sponsoring Agency: National Institute of Mental Health
Bethesda, MD 20852
Grant Number: MH 32309
Type: Survey
Format: Article
Language: English
Country: United States of America
Annotation: This study examined women's strategies of resistance to rape, using police reports and the court testimonies of 274 women who either avoided rape or were raped by subsequently incarcerated sex offenders.
Abstract: The sequence of behaviors in the offender-victim interaction was analyzed to determine whether or not women who resisted rape with physical force were, as some have suggested, exacerbating the potential for physical injury or were simply responding to the severity of the offender's physical attack. The results indicate that 85 percent of the women in the study who resisted with physical force did so in response to the offender's initiated violence. The remaining 15 percent who resisted with physical force did so in response to the offender's verbal aggression. Moreover, those women who responded with physical aggression to the offender's violent physical attack were more likely to avoid rape than were women who did not resist such force. Also, the potential for physical injury was no greater for these women than for those who used other resistance strategies or who offered no resistance. These analyses suggest that the correlation often found between physical resistance and victim injury might be the result of the initial level of the offender's violence and should not be used to discourage women from physically resisting rape. 1 table and 20 references
Main Term(s): Sexual assault victims
Index Term(s): Self defense; Victim resistance to attack
To cite this abstract, use the following link:
http://www.ncjrs.gov/App/publications/abstract.aspx?ID=135868

*A link to the full-text document is provided whenever possible. For documents not available online, a link to the publisher's website is provided. Tell us how you use the NCJRS Library and Abstracts Database - send us your feedback.