skip navigation

PUBLICATIONS

Register for Latest Research

Stay Informed
Register with NCJRS to receive NCJRS's biweekly e-newsletter JUSTINFO and additional periodic emails from NCJRS and the NCJRS federal sponsors that highlight the latest research published or sponsored by the Office of Justice Programs.

NCJRS Abstract

The document referenced below is part of the NCJRS Virtual Library collection. To conduct further searches of the collection, visit the Virtual Library. See the Obtain Documents page for direction on how to access resources online, via mail, through interlibrary loans, or in a local library.

 

NCJ Number: 141124 Add to Shopping cart Find in a Library
Title: Tennessee Judicial Council Annual Report, 1991-92
Corporate Author: Tennessee Judicial Council
United States of America
Date Published: 1992
Page Count: 55
Sponsoring Agency: National Institute of Justice/
Rockville, MD 20849
NCJRS Photocopy Services
Rockville, MD 20849-6000
Tennessee Judicial Council
Nashville, TN 37228
Sale Source: National Institute of Justice/
NCJRS paper reproduction
Box 6000, Dept F
Rockville, MD 20849
United States of America

NCJRS Photocopy Services
Box 6000
Rockville, MD 20849-6000
United States of America
Document: PDF
Type: Report (Annual/Periodic)
Format: Document
Language: English
Country: United States of America
Annotation: This report provides an overview of Tennessee's judicial system for fiscal year 1991-92 and detailed caseload information for each type of court.
Abstract: Following a profile of the structure and duties of the Judicial Council, information and statistics are provided on the structures, caseloads, filings, and dispositions of the State Supreme Court, intermediate appellate courts, State trial courts, and courts of limited jurisdiction. The structure of the Executive Secretary's Office of the Tennessee Supreme Court is also described. Data indicate that the appellate courts and trial courts continue to experience a steady increase in caseload filings. Population shifts and increases in drug/alcohol-related cases have created some disparities where judicial resources have had to be assigned or special programs created. The State court system appropriation for fiscal year 1992-93 was approximately $40 million, which constituted less than one- half of a percent of the total State budget. The primary funding source for the court system is the General Fund, which consists mostly of revenue derived from the sales, franchise, excise, and gross receipts taxes. Appropriated funds for the court system amount to approximately 97 percent of the court system budget. The remaining 3 percent of funding is derived from fees collected by the Supreme Court Clerks' offices.
Main Term(s): Court statistics
Index Term(s): Caseloads; Court structure; State courts; Tennessee
To cite this abstract, use the following link:
http://www.ncjrs.gov/App/publications/abstract.aspx?ID=141124

*A link to the full-text document is provided whenever possible. For documents not available online, a link to the publisher's website is provided. Tell us how you use the NCJRS Library and Abstracts Database - send us your feedback.