skip navigation

PUBLICATIONS

Register for Latest Research

Stay Informed
Register with NCJRS to receive NCJRS's biweekly e-newsletter JUSTINFO and additional periodic emails from NCJRS and the NCJRS federal sponsors that highlight the latest research published or sponsored by the Office of Justice Programs.

NCJRS Abstract

The document referenced below is part of the NCJRS Virtual Library collection. To conduct further searches of the collection, visit the Virtual Library. See the Obtain Documents page for direction on how to access resources online, via mail, through interlibrary loans, or in a local library.

 

NCJ Number: 156540 Add to Shopping cart Find in a Library
Title: Crime in New Jersey: Uniform Crime Report 1994
Corporate Author: New Jersey Dept of Law and Public Safety, Division of State Police
Uniform Crime Reporting Unit
United States of Amer
Date Published: 1994
Page Count: 220
Sponsoring Agency: National Institute of Justice/
Rockville, MD 20849
NCJRS Photocopy Services
Rockville, MD 20849-6000
New Jersey Dept of Law and Public Safety, Division of State Police
West Trenton, NJ 08625
Sale Source: National Institute of Justice/
NCJRS paper reproduction
Box 6000, Dept F
Rockville, MD 20849
United States of America

New Jersey Dept of Law and Public Safety, Division of State Police
Uniform Crime Reporting Unit
P.O. Box 7068
West Trenton, NJ 08625
United States of America

NCJRS Photocopy Services
Box 6000
Rockville, MD 20849-6000
United States of America
Document: PDF
Type: Report (Annual/Periodic)
Language: English
Country: United States of America
Annotation: This annual report is based on crime statistics submitted to the New Jersey Uniform Crime Reporting (UCR) Program by law enforcement agencies during 1994; the report indicates that 368,155 index offenses were reported in 1994, a 3 percent decrease over 1993.
Abstract: In 1994, New Jersey's crime rate was 47.6 victims per 1,000 permanent residents. The highest number index offenses was recorded in August (37,103), while the lowest number of index offenses was recorded in February (22,754). The total value of stolen property amounted to $557.3 million in 1994, a change of less than 0.5 percent from 1993. The value of recovered property totaled $243.6 million, a recovery rate of 44 percent. A total of 76,296 persons were arrested for index offenses; adult index arrests decreased by 2 percent, and juvenile arrests increased by 1 percent. Index arrests accounted for 19 percent of all arrests in 1994. Males and females accounted for 76 and 24 percent of index arrests, respectively; 52 percent of index arrestees were white, 46 percent were black, and 1 percent involved other races. A total of 48,399 violent crimes were reported in 1994, a 2 percent decrease over 1993. A total of 319,756 nonviolent crimes were reported in 1994, a 3 percent decrease over 1993. The number of arrested persons totaled 410,668 in 1994, a 3 percent increase over 1993. Data are also provided on law enforcement officers killed and assaulted, domestic violence, and bias incidents. Tables and figures
Main Term(s): State crime statistics
Index Term(s): Arrest statistics; Criminology; Index crimes; New Jersey; Offense statistics; Police annual reports; Property crime statistics; Uniform crime reporting; Uniform Crime Reporting (UCR) Program; Violent crime statistics
To cite this abstract, use the following link:
http://www.ncjrs.gov/App/publications/abstract.aspx?ID=156540

*A link to the full-text document is provided whenever possible. For documents not available online, a link to the publisher's website is provided. Tell us how you use the NCJRS Library and Abstracts Database - send us your feedback.