skip navigation

PUBLICATIONS

Register for Latest Research

Stay Informed
Register with NCJRS to receive NCJRS's biweekly e-newsletter JUSTINFO and additional periodic emails from NCJRS and the NCJRS federal sponsors that highlight the latest research published or sponsored by the Office of Justice Programs.

NCJRS Abstract

The document referenced below is part of the NCJRS Virtual Library collection. To conduct further searches of the collection, visit the Virtual Library. See the Obtain Documents page for direction on how to access resources online, via mail, through interlibrary loans, or in a local library.

 

NCJ Number: 165639 Add to Shopping cart Find in a Library
Title: Overview of Juvenile Offender Profile Study
Author(s): Anonymous
Date Published: 1996
Page Count: 12
Sponsoring Agency: National Institute of Justice/NCJRS
Rockville, MD 20849
NCJRS Photocopy Services
Rockville, MD 20849-6000
Sale Source: National Institute of Justice/NCJRS
Box 6000
Rockville, MD 20849
United States of America

NCJRS Photocopy Services
Box 6000
Rockville, MD 20849-6000
United States of America
Type: Survey
Language: English
Country: United States of America
Annotation: Recognizing the need for a comprehensive analysis of juvenile cases and a profile of individual offenders, Connecticut's Judicial Branch conducted the Juvenile Offender Profile Study.
Abstract: Data on two juvenile populations were analyzed: (1) delinquent referrals processed in juvenile courts across Connecticut in 1994; and (2) juveniles adjudicated in 1994 who were committed to the Department of Children and Families, juveniles adjudicated in 1994 whose cases were handled judicially, and juveniles adjudicated in 1994 whose cases were handled non-judicially. Of 8,946 juveniles referred to the Superior Court for delinquent behavior in 1994, 55 percent had their most serious cases handled nonjudicially by a juvenile probation officer and the remaining 45 percent had their most serious cases handled judicially. The number of juveniles referred to court for illegal behavior increased substantially between 1991 and 1994, and the increased caseload was primarily handled outside of the court system. About 4 percent of juveniles referred for delinquent behavior were 10 years of age or younger, 10 percent were 11 or 12 years of age, 74 percent were male, and 26 percent were female. About 26 percent were referred with felony charges, 68 percent were referred for misdemeanors, and 16 percent were detained for some period between the time of arrest and case disposition. Juvenile courts differed significantly in their juvenile profiles and case dispositions. Juvenile and case characteristics also varied widely among courts. An appendix contains data on the most serious juvenile delinquency dispositions in 1994, Connecticut's juvenile justice system, and juveniles who received alternative sanctions. 9 footnotes, 1 table, and 2 figures
Main Term(s): Juvenile offenders
Index Term(s): Alternatives to institutionalization; Connecticut; Juvenile Corrections/Detention; Juvenile courts; Juvenile delinquents; Juvenile detention; State juvenile justice systems
To cite this abstract, use the following link:
http://www.ncjrs.gov/App/publications/abstract.aspx?ID=165639

*A link to the full-text document is provided whenever possible. For documents not available online, a link to the publisher's website is provided. Tell us how you use the NCJRS Library and Abstracts Database - send us your feedback.