skip navigation

PUBLICATIONS

Register for Latest Research

Stay Informed
Register with NCJRS to receive NCJRS's biweekly e-newsletter JUSTINFO and additional periodic emails from NCJRS and the NCJRS federal sponsors that highlight the latest research published or sponsored by the Office of Justice Programs.

NCJRS Abstract

The document referenced below is part of the NCJRS Virtual Library collection. To conduct further searches of the collection, visit the Virtual Library. See the Obtain Documents page for direction on how to access resources online, via mail, through interlibrary loans, or in a local library.

 

NCJ Number: 168941 Add to Shopping cart Find in a Library
Title: Reforming California's Juvenile Justice System
Author(s): E G Hill
Date Published: 1997
Page Count: 15
Sponsoring Agency: California Legislative Analyst
Sacramento, CA 95814
NCJRS Photocopy Services
Rockville, MD 20849-6000
Sale Source: California Legislative Analyst
925 L Street
Suite 1000
Sacramento, CA 95814
United States of America

NCJRS Photocopy Services
Box 6000
Rockville, MD 20849-6000
United States of America
Type: Survey
Language: English
Country: United States of America
Annotation: This paper reviews the state of California's juvenile justice system and includes recommendations of a blue ribbon task force created to examine juvenile justice system issues.
Abstract: California's juvenile justice system is comprised of several systems, programs, and organizations designed to serve the needs of juvenile offenders and to protect public safety. The juvenile justice system is primarily a local responsibility. County probation departments supervise 97 percent of all juvenile offenders; the remaining 3 percent are committed to the Department of Youth Authority. Arrest statistics indicate juveniles were responsible for 16 percent of all arrests in 1994, the most recent year for which data are available. While the juvenile arrest rate for violent crime has increased 63 percent since 1985, the rate has actually declined since 1994. California has taken various steps to deal with juvenile crime. In 1997, funds totaling more than $500 million were allocated to support juvenile crime prevention and intervention programs. The blue ribbon task force on juvenile justice system issues noted a lack of comprehensive leadership in California's juvenile justice system; recommended a single department or agency be created with responsibility for oversight, planning, development, and coordination of juvenile justice policies and programs; recommended the State embrace the concept of balanced and restorative justice; made several recommendations related to juvenile delinquency prevention and intervention programs and juvenile court reform; identified juvenile justice system data deficiencies; and recommended the provision of integrated services to juveniles using a multiagency approach. 1 figure
Main Term(s): State juvenile justice systems
Index Term(s): California; Juvenile arrest statistics; Juvenile court reform; Juvenile crime control; Juvenile delinquency prevention; Juvenile offenders; Violent juvenile offenders
Note: Reprint from the 1997-98 Analysis of the Governor's Budget
To cite this abstract, use the following link:
http://www.ncjrs.gov/App/publications/abstract.aspx?ID=168941

*A link to the full-text document is provided whenever possible. For documents not available online, a link to the publisher's website is provided. Tell us how you use the NCJRS Library and Abstracts Database - send us your feedback.