skip navigation

PUBLICATIONS

Register for Latest Research

Stay Informed
Register with NCJRS to receive NCJRS's biweekly e-newsletter JUSTINFO and additional periodic emails from NCJRS and the NCJRS federal sponsors that highlight the latest research published or sponsored by the Office of Justice Programs.

NCJRS Abstract

The document referenced below is part of the NCJRS Virtual Library collection. To conduct further searches of the collection, visit the Virtual Library. See the Obtain Documents page for direction on how to access resources online, via mail, through interlibrary loans, or in a local library.

 

NCJ Number: 182298 Find in a Library
Title: Exclusive or Nonexclusive Comparison Questions: A Comparative Field Study
Journal: Polygraph  Volume:28  Issue:4  Dated:1999  Pages:273-283
Author(s): Tuvya T. Amsel
Date Published: 1999
Page Count: 11
Type: Report (Study/Research)
Format: Article
Language: English
Country: United States of America
Annotation: This study assessed the relative effectiveness of exclusive (time-bar, or Backster) and nonexclusive (no time-bar, Reid) probable-lie comparison questions (CQ) by comparing the physiological responses elicited by using one or the other type CQ in 230 (60 percent truthful and 40 percent deceptive) verified Zone Comparison Test field examinations.
Abstract: Exclusive comparison questions were used in 87 (37.8 percent) examinations, and nonexclusive comparison questions were used in the remaining 143 (62.2 percent) examinations. Each examination used two relevant questions. Analysis of the field numerical scores showed that overall examinations that used nonexclusive comparison questions had significantly larger mean numerical scores (question one, M=2.99; question two, M=2.87) compared to examinations that used exclusive comparison questions (question one, M=2.14; question two, M=2.26). Further analysis showed similar results after computing the mean numerical scores for truthful and deceptive subject status. Examinations that used nonexclusive comparison questions had scores significantly more in the correct direction than those produced by exclusive comparison questions. These findings are consistent with those reported in some earlier laboratory studies that examined the same issue. Together, these results present a strong argument for the use of nonexclusive comparison questions in conducting specific-issue field examinations. 4 figures and 10 references
Main Term(s): Police criminal investigation training
Index Term(s): Investigative techniques; Polygraph techniques; Polygraph training; Polygraphs
To cite this abstract, use the following link:
http://www.ncjrs.gov/App/publications/abstract.aspx?ID=182298

*A link to the full-text document is provided whenever possible. For documents not available online, a link to the publisher's website is provided. Tell us how you use the NCJRS Library and Abstracts Database - send us your feedback.