skip navigation

PUBLICATIONS

Register for Latest Research

Stay Informed
Register with NCJRS to receive NCJRS's biweekly e-newsletter JUSTINFO and additional periodic emails from NCJRS and the NCJRS federal sponsors that highlight the latest research published or sponsored by the Office of Justice Programs.

NCJRS Abstract

The document referenced below is part of the NCJRS Virtual Library collection. To conduct further searches of the collection, visit the Virtual Library. See the Obtain Documents page for direction on how to access resources online, via mail, through interlibrary loans, or in a local library.

 

NCJ Number: 199883 Find in a Library
Title: Economic Costs of Alcohol and Drug Abuse in Texas 2000
Author(s): Liang Y. Liu Ph.D.
Corporate Author: Texas Cmssn on Alcohol and Drug Abuse
United States of America
Date Published: December 2002
Page Count: 82
Sponsoring Agency: Texas Cmssn on Alcohol and Drug Abuse
Austin, TX 78753-5233
Sale Source: Texas Cmssn on Alcohol and Drug Abuse
9001 N. IH-35, Suite 105
Austin, TX 78753-5233
United States of America
Publisher: http://www.tcada.state.tx.us 
Type: Statistics
Format: Document
Language: English
Country: United States of America
Annotation: This report on the economic costs of alcohol and drug abuse in Texas for the year 2000 focuses on costs related to treatment and prevention, medical care, morbidity (lost productivity), mortality (premature death), specific disease groups, and "other related costs."
Abstract: The report first describes the methodology for obtaining the data presented in the report. This is followed by a presentation of data under various categories of costs related to alcohol and drug abuse in the State in 2000. The total economic cost of alcohol and drug abuse in Texas is reported to have been approximately $15.9 billion in 2000. Of the total costs, alcohol abuse accounted for 63 percent of the costs, and drug abuse accounted for the remaining 37 percent. Morbidity costs (the value of reduction in productivity of alcohol and drug abusers) accounted for the largest amount of $11.2 billion, followed by "other related costs" ($7.8 billion). The latter category encompasses crime-related and criminal justice-related costs, vehicle crashes, social welfare administration, and fire destruction. Premature death due to alcohol or drug abuse had a cost of $4.8 billion. Medical care related to alcohol and drug abuse cost $791 million, and costs for specialty treatment services were approximately $679 million. Such treatment services pertained to fetal alcohol syndrome, drug-exposed infants, diseases related to intravenous drug use, and drug-related tuberculosis. 51 references and appended supplemental tables
Main Term(s): Drug abuse
Index Term(s): Alcohol abuse; Alcohol-Related Offenses; Costs; Drug effects; Fetal alcohol spectrum disorders; Texas
To cite this abstract, use the following link:
http://www.ncjrs.gov/App/publications/abstract.aspx?ID=199883

*A link to the full-text document is provided whenever possible. For documents not available online, a link to the publisher's website is provided. Tell us how you use the NCJRS Library and Abstracts Database - send us your feedback.