skip navigation

PUBLICATIONS

Register for Latest Research

Stay Informed
Register with NCJRS to receive NCJRS's biweekly e-newsletter JUSTINFO and additional periodic emails from NCJRS and the NCJRS federal sponsors that highlight the latest research published or sponsored by the Office of Justice Programs.

NCJRS Abstract

The document referenced below is part of the NCJRS Virtual Library collection. To conduct further searches of the collection, visit the Virtual Library. See the Obtain Documents page for direction on how to access resources online, via mail, through interlibrary loans, or in a local library.

 

NCJ Number: 200606 Find in a Library
Title: Lessons Learned in Drug Abuse Prevention: A Global Review
Corporate Author: Mentor Foundation
Switzerland
Date Published: 2002
Page Count: 109
Sponsoring Agency: Mentor Foundation
CH-1202 Geneva, Switzerland
United Nations
Vienna, Austria
United Nations Publications
New York, NY 10017
Sale Source: United Nations Publications
1st Avenue and 46th Street
Concourse Level
New York, NY 10017
United States of America

Mentor Foundation
Propiete La Pastrale
106 route de Ferney
CH-1202 Geneva,
Switzerland
Type: Program/Project Description
Format: Document
Language: English
Country: United Kingdom
Annotation: This document provides suggestions for more effective practice in the field of drug abuse prevention based on lessons learned.
Abstract: Approximately 84 percent of governments responding to a United Nations International Drug Control Program (UNDCP) questionnaire indicate that they had adopted a national drug strategy or plan. The remaining 16 percent either did not have a national drug strategy or action plan, or were in the process of elaborating one. Key lessons learned in drug abuse prevention are presented from 15 case studies selected from around the world. Understanding and involving the beneficiaries in the planning phases, designing the project to meet specific needs, focusing on long-term rather than short-term approaches, and ensuring the project is complementary to other projects, are recommended. Objectives and expectations of all stakeholders involved in the program should be clear before project implementation. Cooperation and partnerships with local government, non-government organizations, and the community allows an exchange of information and experience, and leads to the development of a common strategy and the pooling of resources. The community, organizations, schools, parents, and youth are all valuable resources to be considered when designing and implementing a drug abuse prevention program. Potential strategies to address the drug abuse problem include mentoring, peer education, gender sensitive approaches, programs in the workplace or correctional system, and viewing prevention as a child’s right. Sufficient training is needed for those that implement the programs. Sustainability of the program can be enhanced through capacity building of existing organizations, target group involvement, government support, and secured funding. Creating a network between non-government organizations minimizes competition and the duplication of efforts, enhances the pooling of resources, and allows support between agencies and the sharing of information. Policy recommendations include commissioning more research into the prevalence and social dimensions of drug abuse; investing in the provision of information about and training in evaluation methods; and adopting appropriate and relevant legislation to ensure continuity and achieve the desired objectives.
Main Term(s): Drug Policy; Drug prevention programs
Index Term(s): Alcohol abuse prevention; Crime Control Programs; Drug information; Drug treatment programs; International organizations; Policy; Programs
To cite this abstract, use the following link:
http://www.ncjrs.gov/App/publications/abstract.aspx?ID=200606

*A link to the full-text document is provided whenever possible. For documents not available online, a link to the publisher's website is provided. Tell us how you use the NCJRS Library and Abstracts Database - send us your feedback.