skip navigation


Register for Latest Research

Stay Informed
Register with NCJRS to receive NCJRS's biweekly e-newsletter JUSTINFO and additional periodic emails from NCJRS and the NCJRS federal sponsors that highlight the latest research published or sponsored by the Office of Justice Programs.

NCJRS Abstract

The document referenced below is part of the NCJRS Virtual Library collection. To conduct further searches of the collection, visit the Virtual Library. See the Obtain Documents page for direction on how to access resources online, via mail, through interlibrary loans, or in a local library.


NCJ Number: 221944 Find in a Library
Title: Prison Inmates at Midyear 2007
Series: BJS Bulletins
Author(s): William J. Sabol Ph.D.; Heather Couture
Corporate Author: Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS)
US Dept of Justice
Office of Justice Programs
United States of America
Date Published: June 2008
Page Count: 24
Sponsoring Agency: Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS)
Washington, DC 20531
Sale Source: Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS)
US Dept of Justice
Office of Justice Programs
810 Seventh Street NW
Washington, DC 20531
United States of America
Document: Agency Summary|PDF|Text
Agency Summary: 
Type: Statistics
Format: Document
Language: English
Country: United States of America
Annotation: This report presents data on prisoners under jurisdiction of Federal or State correctional authorities on June 30, 2007, collected from the National Prisoner Statistics series.
Abstract: This annual report describes changes in the prison population during the first 6 months of 2007, compared to changes from yearend 2000 through yearend 2006. It details the incarceration rates for prisoners sentenced to more than 1 year by jurisdiction, the number of incarcerated males and females, and the number of prisoners admitted into and released from Federal and State jurisdictions. The bulletin also presents data on the total number of inmates held in custody in prisons or jails on June 30, 2007. It provides estimates of the custody population by gender, race, and age. The custody incarceration rates for these groups are also included. Counts of the number of noncitizens and individuals under age 18 held in custody are included. See also "Jail Inmates at Midyear 2007." Highlights include the following: Between January and June 2007, the prison population increased by 1.6 percent (or 24,919 prisoners), compared to a 2-percent increase during the first 6 months of 2006; the number of prisoners sentenced to more than 1 year increased 1.7 percent between December 31, 2006 and June 30, 2007, or at about the same rate as the total number of prisoners under jurisdiction; between 2000 and 2007, the number of inmates in custody in prisons or jails increased by 367,200; male inmates (315,100) accounted for 86 percent of the increase to the custody population; and female inmates (52,100) made up the remaining 14 percent. 5 figures, 13 tables and 12 appendix tables
Main Term(s): Inmate statistics
Index Term(s): Federal correctional facilities; Inmate characteristics; State correctional facilities; State-by-state analyses; Trend analysis
To cite this abstract, use the following link:

*A link to the full-text document is provided whenever possible. For documents not available online, a link to the publisher's website is provided. Tell us how you use the NCJRS Library and Abstracts Database - send us your feedback.