skip navigation

PUBLICATIONS

Register for Latest Research

Stay Informed
Register with NCJRS to receive NCJRS's biweekly e-newsletter JUSTINFO and additional periodic emails from NCJRS and the NCJRS federal sponsors that highlight the latest research published or sponsored by the Office of Justice Programs.

NCJRS Abstract

The document referenced below is part of the NCJRS Virtual Library collection. To conduct further searches of the collection, visit the Virtual Library. See the Obtain Documents page for direction on how to access resources online, via mail, through interlibrary loans, or in a local library.

 

NCJ Number: 222376 Find in a Library
Title: Quality Assessment of "Chlamydia trachomatis" Screening and Treatment in a Juvenile Detention Center
Journal: Journal of Correctional Health Care  Volume:14  Issue:2  Dated:April 2008  Pages:99-108
Author(s): Julia C. Frye PA-C, MMS; Lisa Wallace Ph.D.; R. Scott Chavez Ph.D., PA; David A. Luce PA-C
Date Published: April 2008
Page Count: 10
Publisher: http://www.sagepub.com/ 
Type: Report (Study/Research)
Format: Article
Language: English
Country: United States of America
Annotation: This study investigated the usefulness of screening asymptomatic juveniles, the feasibility of completing treatment in high turnover juvenile correction facilities, and the strengths and weaknesses of the current screening and treatment program.
Abstract: Findings showed that of the approximately 9,500 juveniles entering facilities in Illinois annually, 76 percent received screening for Chlamydia and gonorrhea. The population consisted of 85 percent African-Americans, and many of the juveniles were sexually active and engaged in high risk behaviors such as drug use. Both race and high-risk behaviors are risk factors for infection and led to a positivity rate higher than the national average. The high positivity rate also shows the importance of screening asymptomatic individuals in this population as they may not receive regular health care. The study showed the importance of a quick turnaround time between tests and treatment as well as a good relationship with the local public health department. In this study, the facility treated 75.9 percent of the juveniles, whereas the public health department treated 10.4 percent. Overall, 86.3 percent of the juveniles received treatment. Universal screening for Chlamydia is cost-effective when Chlamydia prevalence exceeds 7.7 percent, the percentage of positive test the facility treats before the inmates release is 49 percent, and patients report symptoms less than 53 percent of the time. The prevalence of Chlamydia among the females at the juvenile detention center was 20.8 percent; the detention center’s Chlamydia screening program would be more cost effective if all females entering the facility received treatment for Chlamydia without being tested. Among the male population it would be more cost effective for the detention center to provide testing rather than empiric treatment given that the prevalence rate is only 9 percent. Further research should assess the other treatment recommendations such as partner notification and patient education. Tables, figures, and references
Main Term(s): Juvenile health services; Juvenile inmates
Index Term(s): Inmate treatment; Sexually transmitted diseases; Treatment effectiveness
To cite this abstract, use the following link:
http://www.ncjrs.gov/App/publications/abstract.aspx?ID=244275

*A link to the full-text document is provided whenever possible. For documents not available online, a link to the publisher's website is provided. Tell us how you use the NCJRS Library and Abstracts Database - send us your feedback.