skip navigation

PUBLICATIONS

Register for Latest Research

Stay Informed
Register with NCJRS to receive NCJRS's biweekly e-newsletter JUSTINFO and additional periodic emails from NCJRS and the NCJRS federal sponsors that highlight the latest research published or sponsored by the Office of Justice Programs.

NCJRS Abstract

The document referenced below is part of the NCJRS Virtual Library collection. To conduct further searches of the collection, visit the Virtual Library. See the Obtain Documents page for direction on how to access resources online, via mail, through interlibrary loans, or in a local library.

 

NCJ Number: 50159 Find in a Library
Title: ADA COUNTY (ID) JUVENILE STUDY
Author(s): ANON
Corporate Author: Idaho Law Enforcement Planning Cmssn
United States of America
Date Published: 1976
Page Count: 23
Sponsoring Agency: Idaho Law Enforcement Planning Cmssn
Boise, ID 83707
National Institute of Justice/
Rockville, MD 20849
Sale Source: National Institute of Justice/
NCJRS paper reproduction
Box 6000, Dept F
Rockville, MD 20849
United States of America
Document: PDF
Type: Statistics
Language: English
Country: United States of America
Annotation: THE DISPOSITIONS OF 1,656 JUVENILE PETITIONS PROCESSED IN AN IDAHO COUNTY JUVENILE DETENTION CENTER IN 1975 ARE PRESENTED AND ANALYZED BY AGE, SEX, AND TYPE OF OFFENSE.
Abstract: ALTHOUGH MANY JUVENILES HAD MORE THAN ONE PETITION FILED DURING 1975, EACH OF THE 1,656 PETITIONS CONSIDERED WAS COUNTED AS A NEW CASE ENTERING JUVENILE COURT. CHARTS ARE PRESENTED TO DEPICT THE FLOW OF THE PETITIONS THROUGH THE COURT COMPONENT OF THE ADA COUNTY JUVENILE JUSTICE SYSTEM. THE CHARTS SHOW THE NUMBER OF DISPOSITIONS FILED AND THE NUMBER GIVEN SPECIFIC DISPOSITIONS BY THE SPECIFIC CLASS OF PETITIONS ANALYZED: THOSE FILED FOR BOTH SEXES, MALES, FEMALES, STATUS OFFENSES, AND CRIMINAL OFFENSES. OF THE TOTAL SAMPLE, 1,138 (68.7%) CASES WERE HEARD BY THE COURT, WITH THE REMAINING 31.3% BEING EITHER DISMISSED WITHOUT COURT HEARING OR TRANSFERRED TO ADULT COURT. OF THE 1,138 CASES RECEIVING HEARING, THE COURT DISMISSED 122 (10.7%), AND 595 (52.3%) WERE FOUND TO BE WITHIN THE PURVIEW OF THE YOUTH REHABILITATION ACT (THE NATURE OF THIS ACT IS NOT EXPLAINED IN THE REPORT). THE NUMBER OF PETITIONS RESULTING IN CONSENT DECREES (INFORMAL PROBATION OF 6 MONTHS GRANTED AT THE DISCRETION OF PROBATION OFFICERS) WAS 421 (37%). ONE HUNDRED FIFTY (150) WERE PLACED WITH HEALTH AND WELFARE WITH NO OTHER CONDITIONS IMPOSED BY THE COURT. PROBATION AS A SINGLE CONDITION OF A SENTENCE WAS IMPOSED RELATIVELY FEW TIMES, BUT WAS GIVEN FREQUENTLY IN COMBINATIONS OF SENTENCES. THE SENTENCING COMBINATION USED MOST FREQUENTLY AND WHICH DID NOT INVOLVE HEALTH AND WELFARE WAS PROBATION/DETENTION-SUSPENDED (21.8% OF THE 595 UNDER THE YOUTH REHABILITATION ACT). DISPOSITIONS FOR MALES AND FEMALES ARE COMPARED AS ARE THOSE FOR CRIMINAL AND STATUS OFFENDERS. STATISTICS ON MALES AND FEMALES GRANTED INFORMAL PROBATION ARE ALSO PROVIDED ACCORDING TO OFFENSE, AND THE SUCCESS RATE BY MALE AND FEMALE IS ALSO GIVEN. A TABLE COMPARING PETITIONS FILED WITH ARRESTS MADE BY OFFENSE IS PRESENTED. (RCB)
Index Term(s): Idaho; Juvenile court statistics; Juvenile justice system; Juvenile offense statistics; Juvenile processing; Juvenile status offenders
To cite this abstract, use the following link:
http://www.ncjrs.gov/App/publications/abstract.aspx?ID=50159

*A link to the full-text document is provided whenever possible. For documents not available online, a link to the publisher's website is provided. Tell us how you use the NCJRS Library and Abstracts Database - send us your feedback.