skip navigation

PUBLICATIONS

Register for Latest Research

Stay Informed
Register with NCJRS to receive NCJRS's biweekly e-newsletter JUSTINFO and additional periodic emails from NCJRS and the NCJRS federal sponsors that highlight the latest research published or sponsored by the Office of Justice Programs.

NCJRS Abstract

The document referenced below is part of the NCJRS Virtual Library collection. To conduct further searches of the collection, visit the Virtual Library. See the Obtain Documents page for direction on how to access resources online, via mail, through interlibrary loans, or in a local library.

 

NCJ Number: 76850 Add to Shopping cart Find in a Library
Title: Characteristics of New Commitments to the Facilities of the Department of Correctional Services in 1979
Author(s): J Bassett
Corporate Author: New York State Dept of Correctional Services
Division of Program Planning, Research and Evaluation
United States of Am
Date Published: Unknown
Page Count: 65
Sponsoring Agency: National Institute of Justice/
Rockville, MD 20849
New York State Dept of Correctional Services
Albany, NY 12226
Sale Source: National Institute of Justice/
NCJRS paper reproduction
Box 6000, Dept F
Rockville, MD 20849
United States of America
Document: PDF
Type: Statistics
Language: English
Country: United States of America
Annotation: This report presents selected characteristics of offenders admitted to New York State Department of Correctional Services custody as court commitments during calendar year 1979.
Abstract: Characteristics addressed include reason for commitment, county of commitment, maximum and minimum sentence, education on commitment, dangerous drug usage, prior adult criminal record, marital status, and ethnic group. Report materials are based on information provided by the department's computerized inmate file. During the year there were 7,571 commitments to department facilities; 96.3 percent were males, and 3.7 percent were females. The median age at time of commitment was 25 years for males and 27.3 years for females. Felony convictions accounted for 94.9 percent of male commitments, while the remaining 5.1 percent were youthful offender commitments. Among females, 97.1 percent were felons, and 2.9 percent were youthful offenders. Dangerous drug offenses accounted for 22.9 percent of all female commitments, followed by robbery at 21.9 percent. Robbery was the largest single crime category for males at 33.6 percent, with burglary at 16.2 percent being the next highest. Slightly over 63 percent of all commitments were from New York City, with an additional 12 percent from the suburban New York City area. Slightly over 50 percent of male commitments had maximum sentences of less than 5 years compared to 52.7 percent of female commitments. Maximum terms of life imprisonment were imposed on 18.6 percent of the females and 9.8 percent of the males. No specific minimum term was set by the court for 31.3 percent of all male commitments and for 38.7 percent of all female commitments. Over 70 percent of those committed during the year had failed to finish high school. Slightly less than 11 percent of all male commitments had no prior adult criminal record. Among female commitments, 23.7 percent had no prior adult criminal record, while over 40 percent had prior local or State commitments. Extensive tables and graphs are provided. (Author abstract modified)
Index Term(s): Correctional institutions (adult); Correctional institutions (juvenile); Crime Statistics; Inmate statistics; New York; State correctional facilities
Note: New York State Department of Correctional Services series, vol 14, no. 1.
To cite this abstract, use the following link:
http://www.ncjrs.gov/App/publications/abstract.aspx?ID=76850

*A link to the full-text document is provided whenever possible. For documents not available online, a link to the publisher's website is provided. Tell us how you use the NCJRS Library and Abstracts Database - send us your feedback.