skip navigation

PUBLICATIONS

Register for Latest Research

Stay Informed
Register with NCJRS to receive NCJRS's biweekly e-newsletter JUSTINFO and additional periodic emails from NCJRS and the NCJRS federal sponsors that highlight the latest research published or sponsored by the Office of Justice Programs.

NCJRS Abstract

The document referenced below is part of the NCJRS Virtual Library collection. To conduct further searches of the collection, visit the Virtual Library. See the Obtain Documents page for direction on how to access resources online, via mail, through interlibrary loans, or in a local library.

 

NCJ Number: 77679 Find in a Library
Title: Cargo Security System - An Attack on the Great American Rip-off
Corporate Author: Elliot Concern
United States of America
Date Published: Unknown
Sponsoring Agency: Elliot Concern
Hollywood, CA 90038
National Institute of Justice (NIJ)
Washington, DC 20531
US Dept of Justice NIJ Pub
Washington, DC 20531
Format: Film
Language: English
Country: United States of America
Annotation: This film describes a prototype of a new security system developed for the trucking industry to help prevent the enormous losses sustained through cargo thefts every year.
Abstract: Such losses are in excess of $2 billion a year from ship, train, air, and truck cargo thefts. In the trucking industry specifically, truck hijackings, grand larceny, and breaking and entering are responsible for 15 percent of all truck losses. The remaining 85 percent of truck losses are due to cargo loss, mainly in cargo terminals. However, good security measures can deter these losses. Security methods include fencing in the entire cargo area, checking the personal belongings of all personnel who work within the terminal, and requiring all vehicles without specific authorization to be parked outside the secure cargo area. But such a security system has one remaining weakness: it does not provide surveillance of the cargo inside the truck once the truck leaves the terminal. A prototype electronic surveillance security system to be placed in each truck for no more than $1,000 per year per vehicle was developed to meet this problem. The system involves a computer terminal at dispatch headquarters which monitors both location and opening of the truck en route to its destination. All the electronic detectors in the truck are miniaturized. The film describes in detail the technical aspects of the system, which is designed basically for short-run deliveries rather than for long-distance hauls.
Index Term(s): Audiovisual aids; Cargo security; Films; Hijacking; Surveillance equipment
Note: *This document is currently unavailable from NCJRS. This is a 16mm color film. It is 20 minutes in length.
To cite this abstract, use the following link:
http://www.ncjrs.gov/App/publications/abstract.aspx?ID=77679

*A link to the full-text document is provided whenever possible. For documents not available online, a link to the publisher's website is provided. Tell us how you use the NCJRS Library and Abstracts Database - send us your feedback.