skip navigation

PUBLICATIONS

Register for Latest Research

Stay Informed
Register with NCJRS to receive NCJRS's biweekly e-newsletter JUSTINFO and additional periodic emails from NCJRS and the NCJRS federal sponsors that highlight the latest research published or sponsored by the Office of Justice Programs.

NCJRS Abstract

The document referenced below is part of the NCJRS Virtual Library collection. To conduct further searches of the collection, visit the Virtual Library. See the Obtain Documents page for direction on how to access resources online, via mail, through interlibrary loans, or in a local library.

 

NCJ Number: 98540 Find in a Library
Title: Cost Savings Assessment of Juvenile Arbitration Programs in Florida (From Proceedings of the 29th Annual Southern Conference on Corrections, P 34-52, 1984 - See NCJ-98537)
Author(s): T Blomberg; G Heald; S Quesda; J Lickson
Date Published: 1984
Page Count: 18
Format: Document
Language: English
Country: United States of America
Annotation: This study determined the cost savings attending Florida's statewide implementation of juvenile arbitration programs designed to divert first-time misdemeanants from formal juvenile justice processing.
Abstract: The four programs studied were representative of juvenile arbitration programs across the State. Detailed information was collected on the development, operations, and results of the programs. Further information was collected on 1983 case files, including referral source, charges, male-female distributions, and case dispositions. This information was computer-analyzed to categorize juvenile cases referred to each of the four programs. Research techniques included informal and structured interviewing as well as case, documentary, and statistical analyses. Major evaluation tasks (1) identified client targets of existing juvenile arbitration programs, (2) projected the number of juvenile justice system referrals suitable for arbitration, (3) estimated case costs of formal processing, and (4) estimated the cost savings of juvenile arbitration. Data analysis indicated that 88.6 percent of the clients were first-time misdemeanants, and the remaining 11.4 percent were first-time felons; 28,632 total cases were suitable for arbitration; estimated cost savings per case, assuming no 'net-widening,' averaged $311.80; when 'net-widening' was included, statewide cost-savings estimates of juvenile arbitration averaged $3,018,000. Tabular study data are provided.
Index Term(s): Cost analysis; Florida; Juvenile arbitration programs; Juvenile diversion programs
To cite this abstract, use the following link:
http://www.ncjrs.gov/App/publications/abstract.aspx?ID=98540

*A link to the full-text document is provided whenever possible. For documents not available online, a link to the publisher's website is provided. Tell us how you use the NCJRS Library and Abstracts Database - send us your feedback.