skip navigation

PUBLICATIONS

Register for Latest Research

Stay Informed
Register with NCJRS to receive NCJRS's biweekly e-newsletter JUSTINFO and additional periodic emails from NCJRS and the NCJRS federal sponsors that highlight the latest research published or sponsored by the Office of Justice Programs.

NCJRS Abstract

The document referenced below is part of the NCJRS Virtual Library collection. To conduct further searches of the collection, visit the Virtual Library. See the Obtain Documents page for direction on how to access resources online, via mail, through interlibrary loans, or in a local library.

 

NCJ Number: 98669 Find in a Library
Title: Preliminary Report on Community Control
Corporate Author: Florida Dept of Corrections
Probation and Parole Services Program Office
United States of America
Date Published: 1984
Page Count: 18
Sponsoring Agency: Florida Dept of Corrections
Tallahassee, FL 32399
Type: Program/Project Description
Format: Document
Language: English
Country: United States of America
Annotation: This preliminary report describes Florida's community control program and assesses its attainment of stated goals during the first 10 months of operation (10/83-6/84).
Abstract: The program was designed to reduce prison overcrowding; provide a punishment-oriented community alternative to incarceration; and meet a projected caseload of at least 1,700. The program emphasizes the development of responsibility and accountability through punishment sanctions, public service, victim restitution, cost-of-supervision fees, and supervision and surveillance. To date, the program has been implemented successfully in all 20 judicial districts, with a total caseload of 1,886. Caseloads of community control officers (10 percent of probation and parole field staff) are limited to 20 controllees. Preliminary indications suggest that community control cases involve a variety of offenses, with the majority involving burglary, drug violations, larcency, and assault. A majority of judges are ordering public service for 100 to 200 hours per case, and sufficient work has been located with governmental and nonprofit agencies. On the basis of sentencing guidelines, it was determined that 72 percent of the cases are bona fide diversions from prison; the remaining 28 percent consist of diversions from local county jails and cases which probably would have been placed on probation. Findings suggest that the program is meeting its goals and that the confidence of the courts, criminal justice officials, and the public is being maintained. Graphs and tabular data are included.
Index Term(s): Alternatives to institutionalization; Community Service Restitution Program; Diversion programs; Florida; Program evaluation; Victim compensation
To cite this abstract, use the following link:
http://www.ncjrs.gov/App/publications/abstract.aspx?ID=98669

*A link to the full-text document is provided whenever possible. For documents not available online, a link to the publisher's website is provided. Tell us how you use the NCJRS Library and Abstracts Database - send us your feedback.