skip navigation

PUBLICATIONS

Register for Latest Research

Stay Informed
Register with NCJRS to receive NCJRS's biweekly e-newsletter JUSTINFO and additional periodic emails from NCJRS and the NCJRS federal sponsors that highlight the latest research published or sponsored by the Office of Justice Programs.

NCJRS Abstract

The document referenced below is part of the NCJRS Virtual Library collection. To conduct further searches of the collection, visit the Virtual Library. See the Obtain Documents page for direction on how to access resources online, via mail, through interlibrary loans, or in a local library.

 

NCJ Number: 98916 Find in a Library
Title: Capital, 'Black Youth' and Crime
Journal: Race and Class  Volume:25  Issue:2  Dated:(1983)  Pages:13-30
Author(s): C Gutzmore
Date Published: 1983
Page Count: 18
Format: Article
Language: English
Country: United Kingdom
Annotation: The British state as the representative of capitalist interests has disproportionately targeted black youth and black crime as a major social problem to justify the use of the criminal justice system to control this segment of the disgruntled working class.
Abstract: In an effort to use the criminal justice system to prevent blacks from challenging the capitalist socioeconomic order, the British state has alleged the disproportionate involvement of black youth in crime. This campaign to criminalize black communities is now entering its second decade. It has been based on the use of bogus crime statistics, developed from manipulation techniques first used by Sir Robert Mark in the mid-1960's. These techniques have contrived to make less than 1 percent of crime in London (crimes committed by black juveniles) more important than the other 99 percent. This suppression has resulted in black resistance of state aggression, which has in turn been used as an excuse for increasing the militarization of the police and the focus on blacks as a major criminal element. This will only increase the defensive resistance of the black working class, most likely in subtler and more deadly forms. Thirty-two footnotes are provided.
Index Term(s): Black juvenile delinquents; Capitalism; Deviance; England; Racial discrimination
To cite this abstract, use the following link:
http://www.ncjrs.gov/App/publications/abstract.aspx?ID=98916

*A link to the full-text document is provided whenever possible. For documents not available online, a link to the publisher's website is provided. Tell us how you use the NCJRS Library and Abstracts Database - send us your feedback.