skip navigation

Add your conference to our Justice Events calendar


Register for Latest Research

Stay Informed
Register with NCJRS to receive NCJRS's biweekly e-newsletter JUSTINFO and additional periodic emails from NCJRS and the NCJRS federal sponsors that highlight the latest research published or sponsored by the Office of Justice Programs.

NCJRS Abstract

The document referenced below is part of the NCJRS Library collection. To conduct further searches of the collection, visit the NCJRS Abstracts Database. See the Obtain Documents page for direction on how to access resources online, via mail, through interlibrary loans, or in a local library.

  NCJ Number: NCJ 153256     Find in a Library
  Title: Spouse Murder Defendants in Large Urban Counties
  Document URL: Text PDF 
  Agency Summary: Agency Summary 
  Author(s): P A Langan ; J M Dawson
  Corporate Author: Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS)
US Dept of Justice
Office of Justice Programs
United States of America
  Date Published: 1995
  Page Count: 30
  Annotation: This study provides information on the processing of a representative sample of 540 spousal murder cases disposed of in 1988.
  Abstract: The sample was drawn from State prosecutor files in 33 of the Nation's 75 largest urban counties. Of the 540 defendants, 59 percent were husbands, and 41 percent were wives. Seventy percent of defendants were charged with first-degree murder. Forty-three percent of the defendants pleaded guilty, and 44 percent pleaded not guilty and stood trial; 13 percent were not prosecuted. Of those who went to trial, 63 percent were tried by a jury, and the remaining 37 percent were tried by a judge. Together, judges and juries acquitted 16 percent of the 238 spouse murder defendants and convicted 84 percent. Of the 431 defendants convicted, 89 percent were sentenced to a State prison, 1 percent were sentenced to a county jail, and the remaining 10 percent received probation. An estimated 12 percent of the 431 convicted spouse murderers received a sentence of life imprisonment, and 1 percent received the death penalty. Excluding life and death sentences, the average prison term imposed was 13 years. Wife defendants had a lower conviction rate than husband defendants, and those wives who were convicted were less likely than husband defendants to be sentenced to prison. Defendant's and victim's race was unrelated to case outcome. Information is also provided on processing time and the role of victim provocation. 37 tables
  Main Term(s): Court statistics
  Index Term(s): Defendants ; Sentencing/Sanctions ; Dispositions ; Marital murder ; Male female offender comparisons
  Sale Source: National Institute of Justice/NCJRS
Box 6000
Rockville, MD 20849
United States of America

National Institute of Justice/
NCJRS paper reproduction
Box 6000, Dept F
Rockville, MD 20849
United States of America

NCJRS Photocopy Services
Box 6000
Rockville, MD 20849-6000
United States of America
  Type: Statistics
  Country: United States of America
  Language: English
  To cite this abstract, use the following link:

*A link to the full-text document is provided whenever possible. For documents not available online, a link to the publisher's website is provided. Tell us how you use the NCJRS Library and Abstracts Database - send us your feedback.