skip navigation

Justinfo Subscribe to Stay Informed

Add your conference to our Justice Events calendar


NCJRS Abstract


Subscribe to Stay Informed
Want to be in the know? JUSTINFO is a biweekly e-newsletter containing information about new publications, events, training, funding opportunities, and Web-based resources available from the NCJRS Federal sponsors. Sign up to get JUSTINFO in your inbox.

The document referenced below is part of the NCJRS Library collection.
To conduct further searches of the collection, visit the NCJRS Abstracts Database.

How to Obtain Documents
NCJ Number: NCJ 202631     Find in a Library
Title: Information for Victims of Trafficking in Persons and Forced Labor -- Korean
Corporate Author: U.S. Dept of Justice
Office of Public Affairs
United States of America

US Dept of State, Office of Policy Coordination and Public Affairs
Bureau of Consular Affairs
United States of America
Date Published: 2002
Page Count: 3
  Annotation: This document provides information for victims of human trafficking.
Abstract: The United States Government is trying to stop the very serious problem of human trafficking. In the United States, no one has the right to force other people to work. No one can collect a debt by using threats or forcing people to work; force people to work using threats to harm their family; force or pressure someone into prostitution or to do other sexual acts; use someone for any kind of sex work if they are under 18; or take away one’s passport, birth certificate, or identification card to control one’s movements. Federal law enforcement agencies can help victims and answer questions. They can help victims find emergency medical assistance, emergency food and shelter, translation services, and counseling and legal assistance. Even if victims don’t have the proper papers, there may be ways to stay in the United States while the case is being investigated. Victims of trafficking in persons may be able to stay in the United States and get work permits. Some of the other ways they may be able to stay include the T visa, a program for certain trafficking in persons victims; the U visa, a program for certain crime victims that have been hurt and are working with law enforcement officials; the S visa, a program for certain people helping in criminal investigations; and asylum, a program for certain people that have experienced or are facing persecution in their home country. It is important to talk with an immigration lawyer or community organization that can advise victims about their choices. A victim specialist may be able to help victims find a free or low-cost lawyer.
Main Term(s): Smuggling/Trafficking ; Immigration offenses
Index Term(s): Passport offenses ; Organized crime ; Federal government ; Illegal Immigrants/Aliens ; Immigrants/Aliens ; Prostitution across international borders
Sale Source: OVC Resource Ctr
P.O. Box 6000
Rockville, MD 20849-6000
United States of America
Type: Citizen Involvement Material
Country: United States of America
Language: Korean
Note: Online only document. For English version see NCJ-202628.
  To cite this abstract, use the following link:

* A link to the full-text document is provided whenever possible. For documents not available online, a link to the publisher's web site is provided.