skip navigation

Justinfo Subscribe to Stay Informed

Add your conference to our Justice Events calendar


NCJRS Abstract


Subscribe to Stay Informed
Want to be in the know? JUSTINFO is a biweekly e-newsletter containing information about new publications, events, training, funding opportunities, and Web-based resources available from the NCJRS Federal sponsors. Sign up to get JUSTINFO in your inbox.

The document referenced below is part of the NCJRS Library collection.
To conduct further searches of the collection, visit the NCJRS Abstracts Database.

How to Obtain Documents
NCJ Number: NCJ 215646     Find in a Library
Title: Felony Sentences in State Courts, 2004
  Document URL: Text PDF 
  Agency Summary: Agency Summary 
Author(s): Matthew R. Durose ; Patrick A. Langan Ph.D.
Corporate Author: Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS)
US Dept of Justice
Office of Justice Programs
United States of America
Date Published: 07/2007
Page Count: 4
  Series: BJS Bulletins
  Annotation: This report presents statistics for adults who were convicted of a felony and sentenced in State courts in 2004.
Abstract: Data were collected through a survey of a nationally representative sample of State courts in 300 counties in 2004. The number and characteristics (age, sex, and race) of offenders who were sentenced to prison, jail or probation are reported for the five major categories. Trends from 1994 to 2004 highlight the number of adults convicted of felonies as well as the types of conviction offenses and sentence lengths imposed. See also: State Court Sentencing of Convicted Felons, 2004--Statistical Tables. Report highlights include: (1) between 1994 and 2004, the number of felony convictions in State courts increased 24 percent; (2) 94 percent of felony convictions occurred in State courts, the remaining 6 percent in Federal courts; and (3) 7 in 10 convicted felons in State courts were sentenced to incarceration. Tables
Main Term(s): Sentencing statistics
Index Term(s): Sentencing/Sanctions ; Felony ; Court statistics ; Federal courts ; State courts ; Convictions ; Offender profiles ; Felony courts ; Conviction rates
Sale Source: Justice Statistics Clearinghouse/NCJRS
P.O. Box 6000
Rockville, MD 20849
United States of America
Type: Report (Annual/Periodic)
Country: United States of America
Language: English
  To cite this abstract, use the following link:

* A link to the full-text document is provided whenever possible. For documents not available online, a link to the publisher's web site is provided.