Special Feature: Elder Abuse - Abuse by Caregivers
- Elder Abuse: The Extent of Abuse by Guardians Is Unknown, but Some Measures Exist to Help Protect Older Adults
- U.S. Government Accountability Office, November 2016
- Understanding Elder Abuse: New Directions for Developing Theories of Elder Abuse Occurring in Domestic Settings
- National Institute of Justice, June 2013
- Examination of Resident Abuse in Assisted Living Facilities
- National Institute of Justice-Sponsored, March 2013
- Developing an Actuarial Risk Assessment to Inform Decisions Made by Adult Protective Services Workers
- National Institute of Justice-Sponsored, September 2012
- People with Dementia as Witnesses to Emotional Events
- National Institute of Justice-Sponsored, April 2011
- Detecting, Addressing and Preventing Elder Abuse In Residential Care Facilities
- National Institute of Justice-Sponsored, November 2009
- Bruising as a Forensic Marker of Physical Elder Abuse
- National Institute of Justice-Sponsored, February 2009
- Mandatory Reporting of Nursing Home Deaths: Markers for Mistreatment, Effect on Care Quality, and Generalizability
- National Institute of Justice-Sponsored, March 2008
- National Elder Mistreatment Study
- National Institute of Justice-Sponsored, 2008
- Neglect of Older Persons: An Introduction to Legal Issues Related to Caregiver Duty and Liability
- National Center on Elder Abuse-Sponsored, 2007
- National Center on Elder Abuse (NCEA)
- Sponsored by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, NCEA serves as a national resource center dedicated to the prevention of elder mistreatment. The NCEA site contains state and federal law information, FAQs, and publications, as well as statistics relating to elder abuse.
- National Institute of Justice (NIJ): Elder Abuse
- The Elder Abuse section of the NIJ website provides information about and research on elder abuse and related topics.
- National Long-Term Care Ombudsman Resource Center
- Funded by the Administration on Aging (AoA), the National Long-Term Care Ombudsman Resource Center provides support, technical assistance, and training to State Long-Term Care Ombudsman Programs and their statewide networks of regional (local) programs. The Center works to improve the quality of life and care of the residents in long-term care facilities.
- Office for Victims of Crime (OVC): Elder Abuse/Mistreatment
- The Elder Abuse/Mistreatment section of the OVC website provides information and resources to help bring greater awareness to the crime of elder abuse and mistreatment.
- U.S. Department of Justice: Elder Justice Initiative
- This site serves as a resource for victims of elder abuse and financial exploitation and their families; practitioners who serve them; law enforcement agencies and prosecutors; and researchers seeking to understand and address this silent epidemic plaguing our nation's elders.
For additional publications on this topic, conduct a search of the NCJRS Abstracts Database and visit the following sections of our site: