Special Feature: Family Violence - Prevention
This page contains access to federal and federally-supported materials and websites that focus on the prevention of family violence. See the Learn More area of the page for access to additional Special Features and pages that focus on specific types of such violence and that capture historical materials.
- The Need for Mandatory Domestic Violence Training for Court-Appointed Custody Evaluators
- National Institute of Justice, October 2017
- Violence and Victimization Research Division's Compendium of Research on Violence Against Women, 1993-2016
- National Institute of Justice, August 2017
- Preventing Intimate Partner Violence Across the Lifespan: A Technical Package of Programs, Polices, and Practices
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, May 2017
- Criminal Protective Orders as a Critical Strategy To Reduce Domestic Violence, Final Summary Overview
- National Institute of Justice-Sponsored, March 2017
- Criminal Protective Orders as a Critical Strategy To Reduce Domestic Violence, Researcher-Practitioner Partnership Summary
- National Institute of Justice-Sponsored, February 2017
- State Progress in Record Reporting for Firearm-Related Background Checks: Misdemeanor Crimes of Domestic Violence
- Bureau of Justice Statistics-Sponsored, December 2016
- State Progress in Record Reporting for Firearm-Related Background Checks: Protection Order Submissions
- Bureau of Justice Statistics-Sponsored, April 2016
- Tribal Legal Code Resource: Domestic Violence Laws - Guide for Drafting or Revising Victim-Centered Tribal Laws Against Domestic Violence
- Bureau of Justice Assistance-Sponsored, February 2015
- Research Designs in the Real World: Testing the Effectiveness of an IPV Intervention
- National Institute of Justice, July 2015
- Police Departments' Use of the Lethality Assessment Program: A Quasi-Experimental Evaluation
- National Institute of Justice-Sponsored, March 2014
- National Victim Assistance Academy Resource Paper: Intimate Partner Violence
- Office for Victims of Crime-Sponsored, September 2012
- Administration for Children & Families (ACF)
- A component of the Department of Health and Human Services, ACF promotes the well-being of families, children, individuals and communities with partnerships, funding, guidance, training and technical assistance. Included on the ACF site is information about the Family Violence Prevention and Services Program, which administers the Family Violence Prevention and Services Act, the primary funding stream dedicated to the support of emergency shelter and related assistance for victims of domestic violence and their children.
- CrimeSolutions.gov uses research to rate the effectiveness of programs and practices in achieving outcomes in order to inform practitioners and policy makers about what works, what doesn't, and what's promising in criminal justice, juvenile justice, and crime victim services. Included on CrimeSolutions.gov are programs and practices that focus on a variety of justice topics, including those that relate to the prevention of family violence.
- Model Programs Guide (MPG)
- The Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention MPG contains information about evidence-based programs to provide practitioners and communities with information about what works, what is promising, and what does not work in juvenile justice, delinquency prevention, and child protection and safety. See the MPG Family Violence/Domestic Violence/Intimate Partner Violence page for topical program information.
- National Institute of Justice (NIJ)
- NIJ is dedicated to improving knowledge and understanding of crime and justice issues through science. NIJ provides objective and independent knowledge and tools to reduce crime and promote justice, particularly at the state and local levels. See the following NIJ pages for research, information and resources:
- Office for Victims of Crime (OVC)
- OVC is committed to enhancing the Nation’s capacity to assist crime victims and to providing leadership in changing attitudes, policies, and practices to promote justice and healing for all victims of crime. See OVC’s Domestic and Family Violence page for topical information and resources.
- Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention (OJJDP)
- OJJDP provides national leadership, coordination, and resources to prevent and respond to juvenile delinquency and victimization. The OJJDP website provides access to OJJDP-supported program information and publications associated with child abuse and youth victims of family violence.
- Office on Violence Against Women (OVW)
- The mission of OVW is to provide federal leadership in developing the national capacity to reduce violence against women and administer justice for and strengthen services to victims of domestic violence, dating violence, sexual assault, and stalking. See OVW’s Domestic Violence page for information and resources.
- See the following NCJRS pages for additional information and resources: