||Six Steps to a Successful
Remember that once you've decided to publish, there are several critical
steps to moving your publication along.
- Research your subject. To maintain your publication's credibility,
check all facts and dates, consult your library or the Internet, and
interview experts and organizations relevant to your topic.
- Outline your document. Listing the points you want to make
and organizing the information you intend to present beforehand will
help you save time.
- Write, edit, and rewrite your document. Polish your text
before handing it off; documents require several drafts before they
are ready for review. Make sure to get someone to edit and proofread
- Design your publication. Build enough time into your schedule
for the design process. A clean and interesting design can only help
- Go to press. Select a printer based on capability, equipment,
and cost. Take into account your design elements and whether your publication
will be stapled or foldedall these factors contribute to cost.
Get at least three printer estimates, and once you choose a printer,
get a written contract.
- Distribute your product. Keep track of who your audience
is; you may want to create a database with mailing information to make
distribution a smooth process.
|Youth in Action Bulletin