Special Feature: Missing Children - AMBER Alert Information
Created in 1996, America's Missing: Broadcast Emergency Response (AMBER) Alert Program is a voluntary partnership between law enforcement agencies, broadcasters, transportation agencies, and the wireless industry, to activate an urgent bulletin in the most serious child abduction cases. The goal of an AMBER Alert is to instantly galvanize the entire community to assist in the search for and the safe recovery of the child.
The Department of Justice's AMBER Alert website provides information about and resources for the AMBER Alert Program, including frequently asked questions, access to state contacts, information on how to view active AMBER Alerts, reports capturing AMBER Alert statistics, and a chronology/timeline of the program.
In January 2015, the Department of Justice announced a new partnership with Facebook and Bing to expand the reach of the AMBER Alert system. See the Department of Justice Press Release.
Publications and Multimedia
- AMBER Alert Report: Analysis of AMBER Alert Cases
- Office of Justice Programs, Annual Report
- AMBER Alert Training and Technical Assistance Program Fact Sheet
- Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention-Sponsored, February 2018
- AMBER Alert: 21 Years of Progress in Recovering Abducted Children
- (from OJJDP News @ A Glance, January/February 2017)
Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention, February 2017
- The AMBER Plan
- Federal Communications Commission, October 2016
- AMBER Alert: Best Practices
- Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention, May 2012
- Guide for Implementing or Enhancing an Endangered Missing Advisory
- Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention, March 2011
- AMBER Alert Secondary Distributors
- Office of Justice Programs, January 2010
- AMBER Alert Reaches Indian Country
- Office of Justice Programs, 2009
The AMBER Advocate Newsletter
Produced with support from the Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention, the AMBER Advocate newsletter captures articles that highlight AMBER Alert news, trainings, and the impacts of AMBER Alert program activities.
- National Center for Missing & Exploited Children (NCMEC)
- The NCMEC mission is to help prevent child abduction and sexual exploitation; help find missing children; and assist victims of child abduction and sexual exploitation, their families, and the professionals who serve them. The NCMEC site contains information about the AMBER Alert Program.
- Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention (OJJDP)
- OJJDP supports states, local communities, and tribal jurisdictions in their efforts to develop and implement effective programs for juveniles. Access the child abduction and National Missing Children's Day sections of the OJJDP website for program information and links to publications and resources.