Special Feature: Missing Children - Information for Justice System Personnel
Publications and Multimedia
- The Vicarious Trauma Toolkit
- Office for Victims of Crime, April 2017
- Long-Term Missing Child Guide for Law Enforcement: Strategies for Finding Long-Term Missing Children
- Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention-Sponsored, March 2016
- Missing Children, State Care, and Child Sex Trafficking: Engaging the Judiciary in Building a Collaborative Response
- Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention-Sponsored, June 2015
- Model Programs Guide Literature Review: Commercial Sexual Exploitation of Children/Sex Trafficking
- Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention-Sponsored, August 2014
- Missing and Abducted Children: A Law-Enforcement Guide to Case Investigation and Program Management
- Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention-Sponsored, December 2011
- Missing Children: DOJ Could Enhance Oversight to Help Ensure That Law Enforcement Agencies Report Cases in a Timely Manner
- U.S. Government Accountability Office, June 2011
- Federal Resources on Missing and Exploited Children: A Directory for Law Enforcement and Other Public and Private Agencies, Sixth Edition
- Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention, May 2011
- Guide for Implementing or Enhancing an Endangered Missing Advisory
- Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention, March 2011
- NamUs Helps Identify the Missing
- National Law Enforcement and Corrections Technology Center, 2010
- Solving Missing Persons Cases
- National Institute of Justice, November 2009
- Caretaker Satisfaction With Law Enforcement Response to Missing Children
- Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention, August 2008
- Best Practices Guide for Public Information Officers
- Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention, July 2006
- AMBER Alert
- The AMBER Alert Program is a voluntary partnership between law enforcement agencies, broadcasters, transportation agencies, and the wireless industry, to activate an urgent bulletin in the most serious child-abduction cases.
- Federal Bureau of Investigation: Violent Crimes Against Children (VCAC)/Online Predators
- The mission of the VCAC program is to provide a rapid, proactive, and comprehensive capacity to counter threats of child abuse and exploitation when those crimes fall under FBI jurisdiction and authority; to identify and rescue child victims; to reduce the vulnerability of children to sexual exploitation and abuse; to reduce the negative impact of domestic and international parental rights disputes; and to strengthen the capabilities of the FBI and federal, state, local, tribal, and international partners through training, intelligence sharing, technical support, and investigative assistance.
- Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) Kidnappings & Missing Persons
- The Kidnapping and Missing Persons Investigations section of the FBI website provides a listing ongoing missing persons cases.
- General Services Administration (GSA) Missing Child Notice Program
- The GSA Missing Child Notice Program website is a clearinghouse for information and guidance to federal agencies on how to post missing child notices within federal buildings.
- National Center for Missing & Exploited Children (NCMEC)
- NCMEC works to locate and recover missing children and raises public awareness about ways to prevent child abduction, molestation, and sexual exploitation.
- National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
- NamUs is the first national online repository for missing records and unidentified decedent cases.
- Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention (OJJDP)
- OJJDP supports states, local communities, and tribal jurisdictions in their efforts to develop and implement effective programs for juveniles. Access the child abduction and National Missing Children's Day sections of the OJJDP website for program information and links to publications and resources.
- Project Lifesaver
- Sponsored in part by the Bureau of Justice Assistance (BJA), Project Lifesaver provides police, fire/rescue and other first responders with a comprehensive program including equipment and training to quickly locate and rescue “at risk” individuals with cognitive disorders including those with Autism, Down syndrome, and Alzheimer’s disease.
For additional publications and resources on this topic, conduct a search of the NCJRS Abstracts Database and see the following sections of our site: