National Crime Victim's Rights Week - Resource Guide


Back to the Table of Contents

Preliminary figures show that 7,947 hate crime incidents were reported to the FBI in 1995. The incidents were reported by more law enforcement agencies in 45 states and the District of Columbia, covering 75 percent of the U.S. population. Over 60% of the incidents were motivated by racial bias; 16 % by religious bias, 13% by sexual orientation bias, and 10% by ethnicity or national origin bias. ("Hate Crime - 1995" Uniform Crime Reports, U.S. Department of Justice, Federal Bureau of Investigation, Criminal Justice Information Services Division.)

Individuals are overwhelmingly the targets of hate crimes. In 1995, individuals comprised 83% of all reported bias crime victims for the year, with businesses, religious organizations, and varied other targets accounting for the remaining 17 percent. (Ibid.)

Among the offenders reported to be associated with 62% of the hate crime incidents in 1995, whites accounted for 59 percent and African Americans for 27 percent. The remaining known offenders were of other or multi-racial groups, and overall, 38% of the offenders were unknown. (Ibid.)

Intimidation was the single most frequently reported hate crime offense, accounting for 41 percent of the total incidents reported to the FBI in 1995. Damage, destruction, or vandalism of property constituted 23 percent; simple assault, 18 percent; and aggravated assault, 13 percent. Twenty persons were murdered in known hate-motivated incidents in 1995. (Ibid.)

Of those victims of gender and anti-lesbian/gay violence, 62 percent were gay men, 30 percent lesbians, and eight percent were either gay/lesbian institutions or unknown. The number of lesbians/ bisexual females victimized in 1994 increased 19 percent over 1993 figures, compared to only one percent for gay/bisexual male victims. ("Characteristics of Hate Crimes in 1994, Summary of Hate Crime Data Collection", U.S. Department of Justice, Federal Bureau of Investigation, Washington, D.C.)

Sixty-seven percent of gay men and lesbians who declined to file a police report about their victimization perceived, or had experienced, the police to be anti-lesbian/gay; 14 percent feared police abuse; and 40 percent feared public disclosure of their sexual orientation. (Herek, G.M., Berrill, K.T., "Hate Crimes: Confronting Violence Against Lesbians and Gay Men", Sage Publishing, Newbury Park, CA., 1992.)

The number of arrest for anti-Semitic crimes reported in 1994 were double those reported in 1993. Arson and vandalism represented the anti-Semitic crimes with the most substantial increase in 1994. ("1994 Audit of Anti-Semitic Incidents", Anti-Defamation League, New York, NY.)

Sixty-four percent of all anti-Semitic vandalism incidents occurring in 1994 happened in 12 northeastern states and the District of Columbia. Western states accounted for 14 percent, while southern states accounted for 11 percent of anti-Semitic vandalism. (Ibid.)

Note: OVC makes no representation concerning the accuracy of data from non-Department of Justice sources.

Presented as a Public Service by

Archive iconThe information on this page is archived and provided for reference purposes only.