Judicial Training Project
OVC is launching a 4-year judicial training project to develop
and pilot test a curriculum for judges and court personnel on victimization
issues. The curriculum's learning modules will address—
- The impact of crime on victims and their families.
- Appropriate roles for victims in the justice process.
- Sentencing orders and victim restitution.
- The value and use of victim impact statements.
- The use of technology to improve victim services and victims' access
to the criminal justice process.
- Victims' rights laws and their implementation.
- Victim and community safety.
- Special considerations for victims
with disabilities, child victims, older victims, and non-English-speaking
The grantee will also design an implementation plan for nationally
integrating and institutionalizing the training into judicial training
and education programs. Finally, OVC funding will support the development
of a bench book for judges on victims' rights law and recommended
procedures and a compendium of promising practices. For more information,
call Justice Solutions at 2024481710.