Special Feature: Safety and Preparedness - Volunteer Opportunities
- Citizen Corps
- Citizen Corps was created to help coordinate volunteer activities that will make communities safer, stronger, and better prepared to respond to any emergency situation. Citizen Corps provides opportunities for people to participate in a range of measures to make their families, their homes, and their communities safer from the threats of crime, terrorism, and disasters of all kinds.
- Corporation for National & Community Service
- The Corporation for National & Community Service is the nation's largest grantmaker supporting service and volunteering. Through the following programs, they provide opportunities for Americans of all ages and backgrounds to express their patriotism while addressing critical community needs:
- AmeriCorps: a network of local, state, and national service programs that connects Americans in intensive service to meet our country's critical needs in education, public safety, health, and the environment.
- Senior Corps: connects individuals that are over the age of 55 with the people and organizations that need them most by helping them become mentors, coaches or companions to people in need.
- Medical Reserve Corps
- The Medical Reserve Corps gives health professionals the opportunity to volunteer their time and skills to assist their communities before and during a large-scale emergency and with ongoing public health needs.
- The Serve.gov website promotes and expands volunteer service in America by partnering with national service programs, working to strengthen the non-profit sector, recognizing volunteers, and helping to connect individuals with volunteer opportunities.
- Volunteering and Civic Life in America
- The Volunteering and Civic Life in America feature from the Corporation for National Community Service provides state and city trends and rankings related to volunteering.
- Volunteers in Police Service (VIPS)
- The VIPS Program provides support and resources for agencies interested in developing or enhancing a volunteer program and for citizens who wish to volunteer their time and skills with a community law enforcement agency. The program's ultimate goal is to enhance the capacity of state and local law enforcement to utilize volunteers.