Walk-Through Metal Detectors for Personnel|
(Chapter 3 Metal Detection, Continued)
Instructions for the scannee
The instructions provided to students, employees, and visitors need to be as short and simple as possible. The following example instruction set could be provided to students and employees in the student handbook and should be posted at the entry to the weapon detection area.
- Remove any metal items from your body or pockets and put them in your purse or bookbag.
- Place hats, carried jackets, purses, bookbags, and briefcases on the conveyer belt for the x-ray machine (or on the table to be searched by an officer).
- Stay back from the portal until signaled by the operator to proceed.
- Walk at a moderate pace through the portal, one person at a time, being sure to momentarily place your feet on the footprints at the base of the portal before proceeding.
- If an audible alarm sounds as you go through the portal, follow the directions of the security officer for further scanning or search.
Research Report: The Appropriate and Effective Use of Security Technologies in U.S. Schools