skip navigation


What can I do if I am a victim of stalking?
If you are a victim of stalking, call your local police department's emergency number (911) to report any incidents immediately.

If you feel you need protection, and you have not done so already, you should consider filing for a protective order, which can be obtained by calling your local district attorney or prosecutor's office. A restraining or stay-away order is a legal protection that prohibits the offender from contacting you or interfering with your activities or mobility. If the stalker continues to harass or threaten you, this behavior is punishable by law. Under the federal Violence Against Women Act, jurisdictions must give full faith and credit to valid orders of protection issued by other jurisdictions. Full faith and credit is a legal term that means jurisdictions must honor and enforce orders issued by courts in other jurisdictions. This can enable you to call on law enforcement officers and the courts to enforce their orders of protection across state lines.

In addition, you may wish to review the National Center for Victims of Crime (NCVC) publication, Stalking Safety Planning. Further information is available on the NCVC Stalking Resource Center website.

Last Updated: January 8, 2018

Ask Another Question

Email Your Question