skip navigation

LIBRARY

Abstract Database

Register for Latest Research

Stay Informed
Register with NCJRS to receive NCJRS's biweekly e-newsletter JUSTINFO and additional periodic emails from NCJRS and the NCJRS federal sponsors that highlight the latest research published or sponsored by the Office of Justice Programs.

NCJRS Abstract

To download this abstract, check the box next to the NCJ number then click the "Back To Search Results" link. Then, click the "Download" button on the Search Results page. Also see the Obtain Documents page for direction on how to access resources online, via mail, through interlibrary loans, or in a local library.

 

NCJ Number: 144145 Find in a Library
Title: CHILDREN AND THE LAW
Journal: Criminal Justice  Volume:8  Issue:2  Dated:(Summer 1993)  Pages:6-10,54-56
Author(s): B Dohrn
Date Published: 1993
Page Count: 8
Type: Legislation/Policy Analysis
Format: Article
Language: English
Country: United States of America
Annotation: Chicago's juvenile court processes about 27,000 new cases each year involving children who are abused or neglected or youth charged with a crime, and the cases illustrate the poverty of children, the alienation and violence children experience, and the legal needs and rights of children.
Abstract: The number of children in Chicago's overcrowded juvenile jail has increased 50 percent over the past 7 years, and the problems faced by Chicago are national in scope. Over 14 million children nationally live in poverty, and 8.3 million children had no health insurance in 1991. The image of poverty is urban, but more poor children live in rural areas than in central cities; 67 percent are white, Hispanic, Asian, or Native American, while the remaining 33 percent are black. Even among more affluent children, an explosion of alienation, violence, and drug abuse has occurred. Young children are increasingly being charged with crimes and suffer the effects of economic dislocation, political reaction, and social crisis. Laws concerning children are based historically on property relationships. Overlaying the legacy of children as legal property is the concept of parens patriae, the state as parent. Over the past two decades, however, there has been growing recognition that children have civil rights; an example is the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child. Child advocacy is essential to ensure that all children receive basic nutrition, health care, and education and that their legal rights are protected.
Main Term(s): Rights of minors
Index Term(s): Child abuse; Child victims; Child welfare; Illinois; Juvenile offenders; Juveniles; Parens patriae; Poverty and crime; Social conditions; Victims of Crime
To cite this abstract, use the following link:
http://www.ncjrs.gov/App/publications/abstract.aspx?ID=144145

*A link to the full-text document is provided whenever possible. For documents not available online, a link to the publisher's website is provided. Tell us how you use the NCJRS Library and Abstracts Database - send us your feedback.